Sunday, April 19, 2015

reflective blog on what you beleive and what you know


Reflective blog – Ethical issues and Human rights week 1

What do you believe and what do you know?

There are things I believe are real or not real, but I don’t know if this is case.  I believe fairies don’t exist but I don’t know it, there is no evidence to suggest they do but then there is no evidence to suggest they don’t exist either. Things I know to be real I can’t believe they are not, as by knowing it there is irrefutable evidence in my world – for example I know my name it is on my birth certificate I can’t not believe it.

In other words what I believe in I don’t necessary know however it doesn’t work the other way around, what I know I have to believe – I cant no believe it and I don’t think it would make sense to know something but no believe it I don’t think any logical person could do that – I know the walls in my house a painted a off white colour I simply cannot believe they are any other colour

This was an interesting question because I had never thought of it before; I have learned that knowing and believing are different concepts.

How do I know what I know?

I’m constantly learning – reading, studying attending courses, but the foundation of my knowledge and beliefs came from my parents, and extended family.  My early school years contributed greatly then my later school years and friends. As I got older what I could see on TV and read for myself increased my knowledge.  For me what my parents taught me matched in with school and my friends were all like minded in their views of the world.  Teachers challenged me to think and research to expand my knowledge during my tertiary education.

I’m studying Anthropology because I want to know why people do what they do, having thought about this exercise I can see people do what they do because of what they know and what they believe.  How they come to this knowledge depends on whether they experienced it or were told it by others.  These concepts are all linked.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment